Complain to ICCAN

The ICCAN complaints procedure deals with complaints relating to your experience and interactions with ICCAN and its staff. Complaints relating to the conduct of staff and/or the decisions of bodies which we work with should be directed to the relevant body.

Definition of complaint

A complaint is a significant concern about the way we have acted. It expresses dissatisfaction with the service and suggests alternative actions or ideas on how we could provide a better service to our stakeholders. For example, a complaint might be made about: a failure or delay in dealing with a matter; bias or unfairness; a discrimination or discourtesy; a failure to follow proper procedures; or a mistake made in carrying out our functions.

How to make a complaint

You can complain by writing to:

Business and Finance Manager,
Albion House,
High Street,
GU21 6BG

You can also email: You will need to explain what the problem is, what you’re looking for as a result, and whether this is an initial complaint or a follow-up to an earlier complaint. Any records of times and dates will also be useful. You will also need to give your full name and postal address. We will aim to respond to complaints within 20 days.

Our commitment

We take all complaints we receive very seriously. Complaints are recorded so that we can learn from them. We aim to resolve them informally whenever possible, but we will let you know who to get in touch with if you are still unhappy and want to take things further.

How will complaints be investigated by ICCAN?

In the first instance, your complaint will be investigated by the investigating officer specified in your acknowledgment letter. All complaints will be thoroughly and fairly investigated. If you feel that your complaint should be investigated in confidence, you need to make this clear when making your initial complaint, and give your reasons. In such cases, we will not divulge your name without your prior approval.

What if I am not satisfied with the response?

You may ask for your complaint to go to the next stage, which is consideration by the Secretary to the Commission. If the investigating officer at the first instance was the Secretary to the Commission, you may ask for the matter to be referred instead to the Head Commissioner. You will normally receive a response within 20 working days of this request.

Still not satisfied?

There may be times when you’ve tried to resolve the complaint with us direct and you’re still dissatisfied. If so, you may want to ask a Member of Parliament to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).   

You can find out more on the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman’s website.