Improving how aviation noise is managed since 2019
The Independent Commission on Civil Aviation Noise is a body created to act as an independent, impartial voice on civil aviation noise and how it affects communities.
Since January 2019, ICCAN’s task has been to develop our own understanding and knowledge about aviation noise as well as meet organisations, people and communities that are affected.
In the first year of ICCAN’s existence, we have met with hundreds of different stakeholders, including community groups, academics, airports, airlines, industry bodies and government.
ICCAN’s aim for its first two years is:
- To improve public confidence and trust in the management of aviation noise, by building our expertise, credibility and profile across the UK.
Our strategic objectives
ICCAN has three key strategic objectives:
- To increase trust, transparency, and clarity in the aviation noise debate
- To promote consistency, responsibility and accountability within the industry and beyond
- To establish our expertise, authority and credibility.
Our Corporate Strategy
Our Corporate Strategy identifies work we are doing to deliver on these objectives, which includes:
- Reviewing the Survey of Noise Attitudes (SoNA) and making recommendations to the Government on future public opinion research (published in December 2019)
- Reviewing metrics used for measuring and providing guidance on the management of aviation noise.
- Studying how airports consult with their communities when planning airspace changes and publishing new best practice guidance.
ICCAN is not a noise ombudsman, we cannot handle or deal with complaints, and it is not in our remit to stop airports expanding.
Our ambition is that aviation noise is an important consideration in investment decisions and changes made by the aviation industry, government and regulators.
We are also looking to raise the profile of aviation noise as a public health issue and are already taking our first steps to change the discussion on aviation noise for the better.
Subscribe to our newsletter
To stay updated on all our latest news and more, please enter your email address below